I always find myself browsing for warm cocktails to try out during the colder months. Mulled wine is always a favorite of mine. It’s the perfect drink to serve for a crowd, or even let it stay warm in a slow cooker during a binge-watching night in.
Mulled wine is most popular in Europe, especially during the cold months and holiday season. There’s a ton of different ways to make it – with red wine or white wine, brandy or port, cinnamon sticks and cloves, etc.
I made this recipe in a slow cooker on Thanksgiving to be enjoyed throughout the day. It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare, and an hour or so to heat up. This recipe amount is perfect for a small group in a 3 quart slow cooker, and it can easily be doubled for a larger crock pot.
- 1 bottle red wine (such as a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Merlot)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise pod
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- Peel of 1/2 an orange
- Turn the slow cooker on low
- Add wine, brandy, maple syrup, spices, and the orange peel
- Let warm up on low until hot, but not boiling
- Serve into glass mugs and garnish with a cinnamon stick, etc.