If you’re looking for a fun dessert idea to take to your July 4th cookout you have come to the right place! I had the idea to take my usual holiday sugar cookie recipe and rectangle shaped cookie cutters to make these festive flag cookies!
You could use your preferred royal icing for these, but I ended up using my favorite ready-to-use cookie decorating icing to make the whole process even simpler. I’ve linked that and the cookie cutter pack I ordered below.
- 1 cup butter at room temperature (I use salted)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together sugar and butter with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer
- Mix in egg and vanilla
- Mix in baking powder and slowly mix in flour
- Knead and roll out on a floured surface to the desired thickness. These will not change shape as they bake, so I make them at about 1/4 inch thick
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes
- Optional: If you have space in the freezer, place the cut out cookies in the freezer for 10 min before placing in the oven. I’ve skipped this step many times, but it can help them hold their shape better.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, remove from oven right before the bottoms begin to brown
- Transfer to cooling rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes. After they have cooled completely you can decorate and enjoy!
– I did each icing color one at a time and let it dry before moving on. So I did the blue on all the cookies, then the red, then the white.